Saturday, August 22, 2015

Sushi Totoro



So a new sushi place opened not far from where we live, Sushi Totoro. Yes, they combined sushi with one of my favorite movies, My Neighbor Totoro.  The restaurant is cutely decorated with murals of Totoro characters and the lay out from my understanding is typical of Japanese restaurants in Japan. The staff are very friendly and it's very clean. Simon and I have been there a number of times and each time the service has been constant and the food always delicious.

Sushi Totoro is a All You Can Eat sushi place. They do offer individual plates for ordering but why go to a All You Can Eat sushi place and not get all you can eat? Lunches are $14.99 and dinners are $24.95. We feel this is pretty fair considering that it's ALL YOU CAN EAT!!!

They start you off with complementary Monkey Brains. Before you freak out, it's not real monkey brains. It's avocado with crab meat and maybe something else, fried in tempera. I'm not a avocado person. I will pull it off of anything that I get. However, the way they cook this makes it to where I don't get the avocado taste. You have the crunch of the tempera and then the soft  inside that almost melts inside your mouth, combined with some kind of wonderful sauce. This was good to munch on while we went over the menu. If you want more, you can order it off of the regular menu and pay extra for it.

Monkey Brains
The All You Can Eat menu is broken down into sections nicely. You have the appetizers, entrees and the sushi. We went for Miso Soup, Tofu Salad and the Chicken Yakitori from the appetizer list. The Miso was spot on and I have to say, one of the best Miso Soups I've found in Aurora. Simon had the Tofu Salad and said that it isn't really anything to write home about. It's chunks of tofu with iceberg lettuce, carrot, onion and the normal ginger salad dressing. The Chicken Yakitori is really just a chicken kabob with bell peppers and onions. The sauce we think is teriyaki with sesame seeds sprinkled on top. It was okay but the chicken was dry. This wasn't one of Simon's favorite dishes.

Chicken Yakitori, Tofu Salad and Miso Soup

For our entrees, we picked Beef Teriyaki and Yakisoba Noodles. Next to the sushi, these two dishes were our favorites. The beef is thin cut, like the kind that you would see in Bulgogi, which brings out the flavors of the sauces. There is something about thin cut beef that make a dish ten times better. The Yakisoba Noodles were perfectly cooked. 

 

Then there was the sushi. I'm very limited to what kind of sushi I can eat. I admit that I have a issue with textures of food. I always get Tamago, you can never go wrong with egg and rice. I did try it with the seaweed wrapped around it but my teeth have a hard time biting and chewing up seaweed, so I have to take it off. I also order the Kani (Crab Meat). Simon orders all of the other stuff. This time he got Unagi, Salmon, Tuna, Spicy Scaloop, Ocotopus, Flying Fish Roe, and Spicy Crab Rolls. The sushi is the best that we've had in the area and for being in a land locked state. The fish is fresh and not slimy. 



They have so many other options for you to choose from and the best part of this is, it's ALL YOU CAN EAT! So if want to sample everything and then order more of your favorite, you can! Everything that we ordered, is on the All You Can Eat menu. Note, if you want just rice with your meal, you aren't going to get any. It's a shame as I love rice and the Beef Teriyaki would be awesome with some.

If you enjoy sushi and drinks, this is the place for you. There is a kids menu. They will charge $.50 for any left over sushi, so make sure you order only what you can eat. They offer take out and catering. They also have a full bar for those that want drinks. 


Sushi Totoro
4243 S Buckley Rd
Aurora, CO 80013
(303) 766-0045

Facebook Page

Hours
Mon- Sat
11:30- 2:30
4:30- 10
Sun
4:00- 9:30



Click to add a blog post for Sushi Totoro on Zomato

No comments:

Post a Comment